We are in the middle of an author study on Todd Parr. Todd writes simple stories with wonderful messages for young children. You can find out more about Todd and his books at his website https://www.toddparr.com/.
One of our favorite Todd Parr books is "It's Okay to Be Different." In the book, the Pre-K students learned that "It's okay to be different. You are special and important just because of being who you are."
We also learned that February is Black History Month and we will be learning about some famous Black Americans who have helped shape our country. We kicked off our celebration of Black History Month with a dance party to music by some influential black artists: Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell, Boyz II Men, Sugarhill Gang, and the Jackson 5. While we did love "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, "ABC" by the Jackson 5 quickly became the class favorite.
Finally, we started a new unit! Since it's February and we celebrated Groundhog's Day, I read the children the story Geoffrey Groundhog Predicts the Weather and Geoffrey himself came to visit Pre-K!
Our new unit will be on positional words. Each day, Geoffrey will be "hiding" in a different spot in the classroom and the students will have to tell me and their classmates where he is using positional words (i.e.: on, behind, next to, under, etc.). The boys and girls are having so much fun with this unit and are getting great practice describing location using positional words.
|Today, Geoffrey was hiding on the toy shelf, next to|
the curtain, behind the iPads.
- We will have show and tell on Monday, February 8. The topic will be something that begins with the /h/ sound.
- Please send in two napkins everyday for snack and lunch.
- Children should wear sneakers to school everyday. If it snows and your child wears boots, please be sure to pack his/her sneakers to change into once in school.
- Student Council is selling Candy Grams - $1.00 per gram; deadline to purchase is Wednesday, February 10th. The delivery date will be Thursday, February 11th.
- Thursday, February 11th will be a dress down day and students may wear red/pink for Valentine's Day. Students may bring in valentines for their classmates, but please refrain from sending in any food treats per the email from Mrs. Fox-Tully.
- If you are sending in valentines, please make sure to have one for everyone in class. The class list is: Ava, Connor, Anthony, Greyson, Justine, Alexandra, Charlie, Lily, Luke.
- There is no school on Friday, February 12th and Monday, February 15th.
- Enrollment contracts for the 2021-2022 academic year are due on Friday, February 26th.
- February is Black History Month when we will be celebrating Black history and culture. If you or someone you know would be willing to share with a class, a division, or multiple groups to enhance our celebration in any way, please email email@example.com
- Looking forward, March is Women's Month, April is Arab American Heritage Month, and May is Asian and Pacific Islanders Heritage Month.
Thank you to all who have donated socks for our sock drive!
We already have over 100 pairs of socks! Please continue to send in NEW socks for men, women, and children to benefit families experiencing homelessness. The new deadline for the drive is February 19.