Happy New Year!
Hope you all enjoyed the Christmas holidays with your families!
A new year has brought new work to the shelves in the Pre-K classroom! The students have been so excited to get lessons on the new materials and are challenging themselves daily in the classroom.
|Marcus is learning about fractions.|
|Nora is counting quantities up to 20 and|
matching the correct numeral.
|Mira is stamping the correct capital letter|
to its matching lowercase letter.
|Scarlett is working on addition facts to 10.|
|Austin is using the Constructive Triangles to build a square,|
rectangle, trapezoid, rhombus, and parallelograms.
Blaine is using the Sound Cylinders
to match sounds.
Whenever we put a new work on the shelf, the students know they need a lesson on the material before they can choose it independently. Sometimes, the lessons are done individually, if it is a material that not every child is ready to use yet, since the Montessori program is designed for each child to move at his/her own pace. Other times, we give a whole group lesson when the material is something that everyone is able to use.
|Miss Webb gave everyone a group lesson on our new|
snowman punching art project.
Our biggest addition to the Pre-K classroom is the Montessori snack table! During the Montessori work period in the morning, the students are permitted to go to the snack table whenever they wish. They begin by cleaning their hands and saying their prayers. They then are able to prepare their own snack - open up a napkin, select the proper amount of snack for the day (e.g.: one orange, one scoop of pretzels, etc.), and pour half a cup of water. They eat their snack with one other friend at the table. When they are finished, they clean up their space and go back to work. The boys and girls have done a phenomenal job with the snack table this week. They love the independence and freedom it gives them in the classroom and it really helps to improve the flow of the work period. We are now working for 90 minutes in the morning!
- Please continue to work with your child at home to zipper and button his/her coat.
- Show and Tell on Tuesday, January 15, will be something that starts with /d/.
- Scholastic Book Club catalogs will be sent home today. Orders will be due on Thursday, January 17. You may order online at www.scholastic.com/bookclubs with class code H7WXZ or by sending in the paper order form with a check made payable to Scholastic.
- There is no school on Monday, January 21, for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Hope to see you at Family Fun Night on Friday, January 25, from 6:00-9:00 pm.
Before the break, Grandparents' Day was a huge success and the boys and girls loved having lunch with their grandparents after the show.