The boys and girls did a great job at Show and Tell this week. We had some excellent clues that helped us guess the /t/ objects that the students chose to share.
|CJ shared his tennis racket.|
Pre-K students were scientists! First, we discussed what it means to sink and what it means to float. Then, we did an experiment with candy corn and built rafts to hold the candy corn and keep it from sinking.
The first raft was a flat, square piece of aluminum foil. The students added pieces of candy corn one by one to see how many the raft could hold.
The raft held 9 pieces of candy corn before it sank. The boys and girls noticed that the water was slowly creeping onto the raft as they added the candy corn. We took some time to problem solve how we could fix that. Georgie had an idea! "We need to build walls, Mrs. Barrera! Walls on each side so the water can't come in!" We built our new raft and then, slowly and carefully, the children added the candy corn one piece at a time. The boys and girls counted along excitedly as they added the pieces.
We were AMAZED to see how many pieces of candy corn the new raft held before it sank - 59 PIECES! Although it was disappointing when it sank, the boys and girls were impressed with how much stronger the second raft was than the first. The best part? They were able to use their math skills to determine how many more pieces of candy corn the second raft held than the first - 50 more pieces! We sure have some smart Pre-K students at HCA!
- Please remember to send in your $5 for the Mission Party by October 30! This money covers the cost of the party as well as a donation to the Providence Center.
- Pre-K students will be attending the Book Fair on Tuesday, October 29. If you would like your child to purchase books, please send money in an envelope with his/her name on it. We will help the students purchase their books.
- There is a half day on Thursday, October 31, with dismissal at 12:00 noon. There will be no lunch and no HCA Plus that day.
- There is NO SCHOOL on Friday, November 1.
- Our next show and tell will be on Tuesday, November 5. The topic will be something that begins with /r/.
Mission Party reminders:
- Students should arrive to school at regular time in their costumes and sneakers.
- The parade will begin at approximately 8:15 am.
- Dismissal will be at 12:00. If you would like to take your child home earlier, please just let me know.
- Please refer to the email that was sent for more details.
|Happy birthday, Asai! Thanks for sharing|
the delicious muffins with us!
Don't forget to send in your items for the food drive! Our class has already collect over 100 items! We are trying to reach a school-wide goal of 1000 items. Please send in non-perishable goods, as well as dog/cat food. Thank you for helping Camp Out for Hunger!
Have a great weekend!