Blessing of the Animals
We celebrated the feast of St. Francis of Assisi on Monday with the Blessing of the Animals. We welcomed Rev. Art Tung, our parents, and furry friends for a prayer service with the school community.
We started off our week with something new - handwriting! The Pre-K students are so excited to have their very own workbooks - just like the big kids! We talked about good handwriting posture (sitting up nice and tall in our chairs with our feet on the floor). With handwriting at this level, the children learn to form lines and circles first and then begin working on the letters.
First, we learned about top to bottom lines and the children learned to start at the top of the line, pull down straight, and stop at the bottom line. Then, we practiced holding our pencils properly with a pincer grasp. This is a skill the children will continue to develop throughout the year. Finally, it was time to trace and write our top to bottom lines!
We use golf pencils at the beginning of the year for handwriting. Since they are smaller and lighter, the children are able to control the pencil better. Later in the year, we will introduce a regular sized pencil.
Montessori Work Period
The boys and girls are doing such great work on their Montessori lessons!
|Connor is sorting by the initial sounds of CRIP.|
|Kalea is using the Movable Alphabet to|
fill in missing initial sounds.
|Derek is working with the tangrams.|
|AJ is counting out quantities 1-5.|
|Vienna is using the Spindle Box to count|
out quantities 0-9.
|Amelia is using Color Box 3 to grade colors|
from darkest to lightest.
|Johnny is counting out quantities 6-9.|
|Hali sorted by color using Color Box 2.|
|Teigen is sorting by the initial sounds of BFOG.|
|Gavin is ordering the Number Rods from 1-10.|
|Dmitri is creating a pattern with the|
Pink Tower and Brown Stair.
|Basil is practicing one-to-one correspondence counting|
the beads for the 1-9 Hanging Frame.
|Carina is sorting by the initial sounds of SMAT.|
- Monday, October 11th is a faculty in-service day. There is NO SCHOOL for students.
- Show and tell will be on Thursday, October 14. The topic will be something to do with fall/autumn.
- On Friday, October 15th, Active Image will take individual student photos. Please look in your email for a link to purchase the photos in advance. Students may wear free dress, but everyone should still wear sneakers. They will not be seen in the picture.
- EC parent/teacher conferences will be held via Zoom on the evenings of Wednesday, October 20, and Thursday, October 21. Please sign up for a time if you have not already done so here.
- On Friday, October 29, we will have our annual HCA Mission Party. More information will be sent home in the coming weeks. Dismissal will be at 12:00 noon on that day and there will be no HCA Plus.
Fire Prevention Week
A huge thank you to the Upper Darby Fire Department for posing for a picture with all the EC friends yesterday after our fire drill. Thank you for all you do to keep our community safe!
Have a great weekend!
|AJ and Kalea were rockin' their HCA |
gear this week!